2010/03/12

Showing the RNPH to my mother

Today, my parents and I went to Richmond centre to run errands - buy myself a back-up CF memory card (on sale at Staples), eat lunch at Shanghai-style restaurant, buy groceries from Richmond Public Market.

Then my mother wanted to go to Terra Nova Sharing Farm to see the things people are planting now, as well as if she can see the Ring-necked Pheasant for herself - she really likes this bird and thinks it's just beautiful!

When we got there, it was very windy and I did not see the pheasant anywhere. However, far away (near the spot where I first saw the pheasant in Terra Nova), I spotted something moving on the ground. Using my binocular, it was the pheasant! I quickly called my mother and we slowly walked towards it. However, before we got there, a pair of walkers walked past it and a Red-tailed Hawk hovered above it - causing it to run and hide.

The Red-tailed Hawk.

When we got to the spot, the pheasant was nowhere to be found. But I told my mother to be patient and quiet and it should reveal itself soon.

Sky-watching on 2010-03-011
Meanwhile, we sky-watched.

The pheasant eventually came out of its hiding place and revealed itself. But when it saw us, it started to hide again.

Perhaps sensing we meant it no harm, the pheasant came back out and showed itself to us!

Ring-necked Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus)

Ring-necked Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus)

Ring-necked Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus)

Ring-necked Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus)

Ring-necked Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus)
The pheasant got closer and closer to us, and the wind was too strong and we decided to call it a day. My mother said good-bye to the bird and suggested we bring some food for it the next time.

PS - I did not bring my Olympus outside today. Still practicing at home. Getting much better and more familiar now.

1 comment:

Cicero Sings said...

It's sure nice that you take your Mom out and about and that she is so interested in the natural things herself. I agree with her, the ring necked pheasant is a beauty! I'm glad she got to see it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...