2010/03/23

House Finch, Bittern, and more...

I would had like to go out yesterday, but it was raining when I wanted to go out and sunshine when I did not want to go out. In the end, I did not.

This morning, I went to my local bank branch to get myself a VISA card for my expenses during my times in Ontario. While heading back home, I saw my first Small Cabbage White butterfly on the year! Spring is definitely here! After lunch, my mother and I walked to the dyke to enjoy this nice Monday.

Nice blue sky.

I pointed out this handsome male House Finch (Carpodacus mexicanus) to my mother. She enjoys watching this pretty bird and listening to its songs!

House Finch (Carpodacus mexicanus)

House Finch (Carpodacus mexicanus)

House Finch (Carpodacus mexicanus)
Male House Finch on a wire.

The marsh is now being utilized by the Snow Geese who aren't on their way to Wrangel Island, Russia yet. Even though it's a nice quiet place for them to rest and forage, they kept being spooked by the Bald Eagles that patrol the area.

Bald Eagle.

While my mother used the restroom, I looked out to the marsh hoping to spot something, and something suddenly flew up from the dead reeds! It was an American Bittern (Botaurus lentiginosus)!

Bittern in flight!

It landed somewhere in the reeds again but I was not able to find it again. After showing my mother the photos and walking away, my mother suddenly spotted the bittern!


It saw us looking at it and kept its head (and body) low and hurried away.

I went to the direction it was heading to, and pretty soon it walked in my way.

American Bittern (Botaurus lentiginosus)

American Bittern (Botaurus lentiginosus)
And that was when it rose up and became still. But seeing how it wasn't fooling my mother and I, the bittern gave up and just flew away again. What a moment!

I haven't moon-watched in a long time. I wonder if the moon from Ontario is the same as here in B.C.?

Below are some photos that I took while heading back home.

Sea of Red
I like the redness.

New buds
Buds.
Magolia buds.

Hat-wearing Budding Flower
A bud wearing a hat and saying "hey, look at me!"
Cherry blossoms still in bloom.
But soon it will all be over.
Sleeping cat.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...