2010/03/10

Herons finding and catching prey

Once again the terrible weather has not arrive yet (I am dreading it). But at least I can enjoy another dry but gray day.

The Bald Eagle was at home when I rode by.

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)
Almost got a straight face-on passport shot like this one. So funny! I think I scared this heron and it flew away when I was photographing it. Sorry.

Another heron. This one ignored me and went on with its fishing. Success!

Golden-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia atricapilla)
A stuffed Golden-crowned Sparrow from eating all those willow buds.

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)
A relatively chilly and windy day.

At first this heron walked away from me (we were separated by the ditch), but then it suddenly turned around and a few seconds later it stabbed into the ground. And between its bills was a vole!

It carried the vole to the ditch and dipped it into the water (washing, drowning, or easy swallowing?) and then carried it back on land.

Apparently it wasn't wet enough and the heron repeated the procedure again.

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) catching a vole

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) catching a vole

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) with vole in throat
With a few gulps, the vole disappeared down the heron's throat.

After drinking the water a few times, the heron headed off again. What a moment!

Abandoned building
A nice shot in Terra Nova Rural Park.

Fraser River and YVR Airport.

Spent a few minutes watching seaplanes fly by.

Cloudy day.

Saw the Bald Eagle outside its nest.

I may stared at it for too long and so it took off to another tree in the golf course.

My DSLR should arrive tomorrow. Can't wait. I hope nothing is wrong with the delivery - since what I read on-line regarding Purolator services aren't very good. Yikes!

365 days ago (2009-03-09) ...
.

1 comment:

Cicero Sings said...

So interesting, those pictures of the heron with its vole. Interesting that he wet it down ... I think for ease in swallowing!

Hope your camera arrives safe and sound.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...