2010/03/02

Herons on tree-top & Sharp-shinned Hawk

The cherry plum trees are in full blossom in our neighborhood, so this morning, my mother and I walked around and I took the photographs.

Cherry Blossom

Blossom
I softened the images and increased the hues. Gave the photos a more interesting feel to it. I like it.

In the afternoon, I biked to the dyke.

Cloudy but dry day.

80% of Great Blue Herons that I saw standing on treetop today (n = 5). Very strange.

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)
Heron #1.

While I was biking, a small bird flew over me and landed on a fallen log. I immediately recognized it as an accipiter - either a Cooper's Hawk or a Sharp-shinned Hawk. I think it may be a Sharpie, but I had asked for help here just to make sure.

Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii)

Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii)
Sharpie or Cooper's??

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)
Heron #2.

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)
Heron #3.

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)
Heron #4.

Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii)
While taking pictures of Heron #4, the previous accipiter appeared again and swooped over me and landed on a tree nearby. So I abandoned the heron and slowly walked towards the hawk, and got this photo.

On the way back, this Bald Eagle was scratching and preening itself, and sometimes calling out to its mate or someone.

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)
Nothing unusual for this bird to be on a tree.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Wow, these are amazing shots. So clear. Seemingly so close! Got her via Hugh's blog, I know he is a heron appreciator too. What splendid creatures! We are lucky to live among them. Nice blossom pics too! Cheers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...