2010/03/21

Hungry Cat, Vole Alive

Let's start of today with some photos of the delicious strawberries that my mother bought today.

Delicious Strawberry

Delicious Strawberry
Very yum and sweet!

Then it's time to bike to the dyke.

Thin clouds today.

Female Red-winged Blackbird. In a sense, I think they are prettier than the males. Maybe it is because they at least have more colors than the almost all-black

The male Canvasback was finally observed today! And there were in fact two females instead of one! Although one female kept closer to the male than the other. And they kept diving into the water for food (I think).

There were some people working on their gardens in Terra Nova today. A gentleman was working on his field and he called me over to take photos of the pheasant around him. The man did not seemed overly concerned about the pheasant wandering around beside him, and they made an interesting and curious duo.

Ring-necked Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus)

Ring-necked Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus)
Thankfully, the pheasant kept its distance from me today. However, I really hope it does not get too comfortable around humans.

While biking along, a dark object suddenly froze in its path. It was a cat. I slowly got off my bike and walked towards the cat, and when it saw me approached, it dropped off whatever it was in its mouth and ran away. Getting closer, I realized the cat had a Townsend's Vole (according to Blueberry Pics, thanks) and the vole was breathing heavily when I looked down on it.

It was a strange feeling to have an animal close to death and there was nothing you can do about it. However, the vole seemed to eventually came around and turned to face me.

Unidentified Vole
I took several photos of the vole in distress, and in the end, it headed to the nearby grasses and disappeared. Godspeed, little fella. However, knowing I just spared a vole from becoming a cat's food, it was also a strange feeling the cat will continue be hungry. Such are the ways of life.

Sky-watching along Fraser River.

Heron and its fading reflection
While biking home, I saw this interesting image between a heron and its fading reflection waiting to be captured.
.

1 comment:

Susannah Anderson said...

I love that blackbird photo. Impressive use of space!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...