2011/04/10

Ladybug and Birds

I imagine that this will be the only post for the next couple days as rain head our way. Today was overcast and windy.

My first ladybug of the year. It has 19 spots (2, 3, 3, 1 on each side, from anterior to the end; and one spot right in the middle); therefore, this is a 19-Spotted Ladybug (Harmonia axyridis). It was walking along the railings of a dock. It seemed to have trouble walking against the wind, so I gently nudged it towards a depression where it can hide.

Then I went to London Heritage Farm, but because of the weather, I didn't see any honey bees pollinating, except for a Yellow-faced Bumble Bee flying around looking for holes in the ground, perhaps storing nectar for its future offspring? Unfortunately, it was terribly busy and I couldn't take any photos.

I took photos of the easier bird to photograph in the farm instead - American Robins.

American Robin (Turdus migratorius)

American Robin (Turdus migratorius)

American Robin (Turdus migratorius)

Golden-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia atricapilla)
Golden-crowned Sparrow. Not as easy as the robins. I also saw a hummingbird, but it has the same difficulty as photographing bumble bees.

But I managed to photograph the back of another hummingbird I came across today. A RUHU, I believe.


Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)
Looking at a young heron walking like it's a supermodel.

I think this is the first time I photographed two species of birds-in-flight at the same time.

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)

A young Bald Eagle perched on a dead snag right above the trail, and it didn't seem to mind the people walking below.

Have a happy weekend.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...