2011/04/30

Bees, Tulips, Eagles, Flycatcher(!) and Blossom

It is such a nice day today. Perfect day to go bike-riding.

View from South Dyke Trail
Look at the view! Only a few clouds in the horizon.

I went over to Gilbert Road Community Garden (that's its official title, or so the sign reads) to check out the pollinators. Many European Honey Bees (above), a large-sized hoverfly, some wasps, as well as these bees below. I believe they are some kind of Sweat Bee (Halictus spp.).

Possible Sweat Bee (Halictus spp.)

Possible Sweat Bee (Halictus spp.)
Since the lighting was good, I decreased the aperture to about f8-f11 to get more of the bee in focus. I am proud of these two shots above. Photos taken with the Raynox 250.

Cranefly Close-up (Order Diptera)
There was also this cranefly that I chased around the garden to get a picture of. Why? I am not sure, but it sure looks good here.

View from London Landing
View from London Landing. I saw two chickadees here today (along with hearing the hummingbird). The chickadees were gleaning from the tree that the hummingbird likes to perch on - not sure if they were the same pair as yesterday. No movement around that log was observed.

Then I went over to Steveston and came across these beautiful tulips in the roundabout. Definitely worthy of stopping and taking some pictures. These were all taken with the OM lens at f2, I think.

Sea of Tulips

Sea of Tulips

Sea of Tulips

Sea of Tulips
Look at the colorful bokeh!

Sea of Tulips

Good-bye, Wind Waves.
Then I arrived at Garry Point Park, paying tribute to this beautiful (but truthfully unnecessary) sculpture. It will be removed soon because our city and the people don't want to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on it (which I agree).

Over at West Dyke Trail, I spotted a male and female Mallard. But nearby was another female Mallard with four ducklings near her. This was my first time seeing Mallard ducklings so it was quite special.


Four beautiful ducklings. [On a side note: I also saw many cabbage whites flying along the trail today.]

This was the stopping point of my bike ride today. Looking and photographing these two Bald Eagles. Last week, they were sitting together but not today.

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)
Eagle on the left.

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)
Eagle on the right.

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)
The eagle on the right took off first. Followed by the left eagle (seen here).

Since it was almost five, I decided to slowly bike home. But not before taking the side trail to see what I can find. And I saw a Flycatcher! I thought I had seen a flycatcher around this area before, but according to my tags, apparently not.

Unknown Flycatcher (Empidonax spp.)

Unknown Flycatcher (Empidonax spp.)
Since I don't see them often, I am not good at identifying them. I went over to Rock Paper Lizard (one of my first sources to check for unknown critters spotted in Richmond), and this was one of the two posts Hugh had available. I wish it spoke too!

Just Passing Through
Trying to capture the beautiful moment when the sun shines through the alder leaves in the trail. Taken with the OM lens.

New Blossoms
Over at the Steveston-London Secondary School parking lot, there were these cherry blossoms starting to open up. Seems like it's never-ending this spring. Definitely not complaining at all. Also taken with the OM lens.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...