2011/04/22

Close-up bees, Bittern, and Eagle Pair

A good day to go out and test my new 'lens'.

Not cloudy at all.

I was going to the South Dyke Sharing Farm but there were many people working there, so I decided to bike all the way to the one in Terra Nova instead.

Hummingbird in the center of the picture. I am never going to get a good photo of this bird, so I took this image with just the kit lens.

Low tide. There were three Great Blue Herons fishing on that stretch of muddy bank.

Sky-watching Thursday
Nice view from West Dyke Trail

Tree Swallows (Tachycineta bicolor) resting on a wire, the only way I am ever going get a photo of these birds.

Another view of the trail.

On the trail-side of Terra Nova Natural Area, I spotted many of these small bees foraging in the dandelions. Either a Sweat Bee (Family Halictidae) or something else. I hope I will be accepted into this training program so that I can be more knowledgeable about bees.

Unidentified Bee

Unidentified Bee
This bee is only about 6-8 mm, but they look incredible with the Raynox 250 attached to the 40-150 lens.

Moving on, I saw three Northern Shovelers (two male and one female) and they were performing this behavior - raising their head up and down while making some kind of sound. Courtship behavior, I suppose?

At Terra Nova Sharing Farm, I spotted this ladybug with 16 spots, although it doesn't look like any of these.


The Honey Bees weren't as cooperative as the small bees and photographing with such a close-up lens is difficult. So I focused on their pollen baskets because they are such an interesting structure around the bee's knees.

Getting cloudy at the end of the day.

I saw a woman looking at the reeds in the ditch and immediately I know it must be an American Bittern.

American Bittern (Botaurus lentiginosus)
And there it is! Trying to blend itself into the surroundings.

At the golf course, a pair of Bald Eagles were perched next to each other close to the nest.

Bald Eagles (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)

Bald Eagles (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)

Bald Eagles (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)
And enjoying the golf game below.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...