2011/04/29

Chickadees' and Killdeers' potentially nesting?

This was one of the few photos taken from our 'backyard' yesterday when it was grey and wet out using the OM lens.

Purple Flowers at Home
This was taken at f2 as you can tell by the blurriness behind the flower in focus. The colors captured by this lens is not as saturated as the digital lenses, but it is fixable with some post-processing.

Now, continuing with today's outing. The next two photos were also taken with the OM lens. It was a nice day out today.


Picturesque

I went over to London Landing to watch the hummingbird but I saw something interesting. A pair of Black-capped Chickadees were moving in the bushes and then one of them flew to a rotten beam not joined to the dock anymore and it was looking inside.

What can you see inside? Nest or perhaps potential nest?

Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)
It and its partner flew off shortly afterwards, and two more appeared later (possibly the same pair) in the general area. I think they are just searching for potential nest holes. I will keep an eye out next time; not sure how the Rufous Hummingbird feels about sharing its territory with chickadees.

Here's the commander of the territory.

Flashing its gorget.

House Sparrow (Passer domesticus)
Many birds were chirping when I biked along the trail. Including this House Sparrow.

And Spotted Towhee.

It was relatively windy today at the waterfront and some gulls were hovering in the sky so I was able to get some in-flight photos of the juvenile Ring-billed Gulls.

Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis)

Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis)
Maybe the same individual, maybe not.

Rock Pigeon (Columba livia)
Captured a Rock Pigeon in flight too.

While biking around the building towards Finn Slough, I heard Killdeers calling in the parking lot and immediately I saw one.

Photographed through the wire fence. After this one flew over the fence towards the farmland, I could still hear Killdeer in the parking lot and then I spotted a second one sitting in the grass just behind the building.

Are you nesting there?

The white dot in the grass is the Killdeer. Not a good place to lay eggs at all. Imagine the grass mowers coming by to mow the grass...yikes!

It was still early when I biked to here so I decided to went to Finn Slough to check it out.

Unknown Pretty Flowers
Small flowers next to the boardwalk in Finn Slough. Photo taken with the OM lens.

Different flower close-up with Raynox 250. I believe this is Slender Toothwort (Cardamine nuttallii), according to this blog post from Island Nature. Excellent.

Unidentified Fly
Close-up of a fly's face. If I actually cropped the photo 100% at the fly's eyes, you can see its compound eyes.

Ending the day with the OM lens again. I think I will buy this lens after all.

Overlooking the Fraser River
Nice view.

Puffy clouds.

Farm Life
Farm life.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...