2009/05/15

Wildlife viewing at Da Xing

Yesterday, I spent most of my day yesterday walking and biking at a more rural part of the town where my aunt works as the local kindergarten teacher. This was also the school that I went to when I was young, so it certaily brought back some precious memories. Of course, the wildlife was a bit more interesting since the surrounding areas are farms of green peppers, rice fields, poultry farms, etc.

On one of the abandoned lands, I saw many Chinese Bulbuls carrying praying mantises and other insects in their beaks.

Also observed were these bright Anomala expansa, also known as the Taiwanese Green Bronze Beetle (translated).

台灣青銅金龜 (Anomala expansa)

台灣青銅金龜 (Anomala expansa)

Beside the wild animals. Some include the domesticated free-range domesticated Muscovy Duck (Cairina moschata). What a face!

Domesticated Muscovy Duck (Cairina moschata)

Near the farms, there are also plant-rearing centers, which attracted some pretty lovely insects, including this Ceylon Blue Glassy Tiger (Ideopsis similis).

Ceylon Blue Glassy Tiger (Ideopsis similis) - 琉球青斑蝶

Afterwards, I borrowed a bike from one of my aunt's friends, and I saw three lifer birds!

The first thing that I noticed about this particular bird was its harsh clucking sounds and its very long tail. It is a Gray Treepie (Dendrocitta formosae formosae), an endemic subspecies! Sadly, it waswary of my position and intention, and fly away whenever I got a little bit closer. The below photos were the best ones that I got. One was when it was perched far far away on a telephone pole, and one was when it was sheltering underneath the dark canopy and me hiding from being seen by the bird.

Along the narrow roads, I also saw a warbling Plain Prinia (Prinia inornata) - top photo. Another is the Nutmeg Mannikin (Lonchura punctulata) - bottom photo.

Overall, it was a very nice day with excellent birding results.
.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...