2009/05/05

Birding before the rain

It is currently raining pretty hard right now. Thankfully, I went out birding just before the rain came down. It's a pretty rewarding day overall.

First up, a pair of adult Bald Eagles right next to each other and just right above me. Amazing!

Enjoying the view.

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)
Love the above shot, especially with the stylish hairstyle on this adult.

Probably the same Great Blue Heron as yesterday catching small fishes.

Brown-headed Cowbird (Molothrus ater)
A female Brown-headed Cowbird (Molothrus ater). They are a bit harder to spot since they don't perch on treetops and sing away, but they are there.

American Goldfinch (Carduelis tristis)
Perching American Goldfinch.

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)
I am guessing this is the same heron as above, but it just flew to this treetop for a bit of a break. Also perching.

After birding, my father brought me to try out a Greek restaurant in downtown Vancouver called Stepho's Greek Taverna. It's not bad, but it must be pretty famous with the line-ups outside the taverna. It's relatively inexpensive with large portions. It was started to rain after we finished, otherwise, I was hoping I could go to Stanley Park and watch wildlife. Maybe next time.

By the way, I saw the Great Horned Owl again, as well as the nesting Killdeer, and no turtles were spotted today. Good news, I guess.
.

2 comments:

MaineBirder said...

Awesome photos! Sounds like a good Greek restaurant.

PSYL said...

Thanks, MaineBirder.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...