2009/05/14

More common Taiwanese wildlife...

More wildlife watching in the backyard again yesterday. I believe this is the Jamides alecto dromicus again. The common name for the general species is Metallic Cerulean, but in Chinese, it is translated as White Wave Mark Little Gray Butterfly, quite literally.

Metallic Cerulean (Jamides alecto) - 白波紋小灰蝶


More Eurasian House Sparrows again. This one standing on a metal pipe.

Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus)

One of the most exciting findings yesterday was this Swinhoe's Japalura, a common reptile all over Taiwan and found nowhere else in the world except Taiwan.

Swinhoe's japalura (Japalura swinhonis) - 斯文豪氏攀蜥

It was exciting because I saw it catching a beetle and eating it right in front of me. Then I spend a good 30 minutes or so (under the blazing afternoon sun) just simply observing it resting underneath the shades of a tree.

Swinhoe's japalura (Japalura swinhonis) - 斯文豪氏攀蜥

In the afternoon, I biked along a ditch (don't ask me why I like to bike along dykes or ditches) and saw this Black Drongo (Dicrurus macrocercus) perched right on top of me. Sorry for the poor photo, but this was the only photo I got. It is distinguishable by its metallic blackness and the deeply-forked tail, and likes to perch on wires, trees, bamboo shots, and even cattle backs.

I also saw a pair of Red-collared Dove (Streptopelia tranquebarica). I think this is a female as the wings on the males are darker than the females, who are more grayish brown.



1 comment:

Chris said...

Tahnks for making us discover the wildlife you can now see during your trip!! This is a great "life" up-date of your trip... Gorgeous

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...