2011/05/14

Watching flicker excavating cavity

Blogger wasn't being cooperative last night and this morning, so I had to delay yesterday's post until now. Today's activities will be blogged at a later time today, hopefully, since I had just returned home. It was a very busy day today.

After months of riding my (parents') bike through gravel and sand and soil, I had worn out the back tire and it had several punctured holes and beyond repair. So today I had to ride my old bike (from elementary school) to the dyke to do some bird-watching. I saw a flycatcher at the entrance of the dog park, but couldn't find it again after it disappeared.

I went to watch the flicker cavity that I saw last week and initially there was no bird in sight.


However, I then noticed a flicker was already in it! Apparently, it was the male and he was still excavating the cavity.

Taking out the wood chips.

Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus)
Male Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus) with the red mustacial stripes. I was quite sad knowing that I won't be here in Richmond watching the progress of this cavity and its residents.

After leaving mister flicker to do his job, I was looking for a possibly Orange-crowned Warbler, but found this Male American Goldfinch instead.

American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis)

American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis)

American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis)
Singing its beautiful song.

White-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia leucophrys)
A few White-crowned Sparrow foraging along the fence.

Rufous Hummingbird (Selasphorus rufus)
On the railroad track beside the building, a fellow photographer and I saw at least two (and possibly three) male Rufous Hummingbirds perching on top of trees relatively close to each other, maybe just 15-m apart. I thought they are very territorial.
Link
Common Bluebell
I think these look like Common Bluebell flowers.

Spotting another Rufous Hummingbird along the railroad track, but this one was on the other side around the bend.

Two Moons After the First Quarter
Haven't watched the moon in a long time.

Sky-watching as I hurried on home to go out for dinner.

4 more sleeps until Peterborough.

2 comments:

YAMA said...

看你之前和這次記錄Northern Flicker 挖洞的照片,腦海中馬上浮現你觀察五色鳥的樣子^^ 時間過的真快阿~ ps.我很喜歡你現在部落格的名字喔! (久久才留言一次XD)

PSYL said...

Thank you, YAMA. Good memories return when I stare at nest cavities and wondering what the bird is doing. I think it will be a habit that never stops.

I finally came up with a relatively suitable name for my blog :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...