2009/04/25

Lucky day - Osprey sighting!

It was a great day today. Beautiful weather and saw two first birds of the year. Hope it continues throughout the weekend.

Another day with (almost) cloudless blue sky.

I couldn't find the Great Horned Owl yesterday. But it was back to its usual spot again today! Hoot!

Great Horned Owl (Bubo virginianus)
Wing stretching.

Great Horned Owl (Bubo virginianus)
Giving me the annoyed cold stare. Okay, one more shot, then I'm leaving.

Great Horned Owl (Bubo virginianus)
Back to sleeping.

Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula)
A Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula). They can be identified by their "large" eyes, yellowish hues on wings and tails, and a single wing-bar.

I got lucky when I spotted this Black-capped Chickadee picking this caterpillar off the branch and was fortunate enough to snap a shot of it. The bird then pecked the caterpillar into almost a ball of mush before eating it.

Yellowlegs (Tringa spp)
Near the slough, a group of Yellowlegs (Tringa spp.) were observed. I think distinguishing two different species by their relative size is one of the difficult things to identify them. What if there is only one species present (in the field)? Then how do we know who's the Greater and who's the Lesser? Anyways, I think they are Lesser Yellowlegs (Tringa flavipes) because of the straighter and pointy-looking bills. First of the year!

Summertime?
Dare I say it? It feels almost like summertime the last couple of days.

Northern Shovelers (Anas clypeata)
I saw five pairs of Northern Shovelers feeding on the riverbanks (and one pair in the slough).

Osprey (Pandion haliaetus)
Turns out that the bird that I missed photographing yesterday was not a Peregrine Falcon by an Osprey (Pandion haliaetus). Today I got lucky and it was there again! A few crows gave (weak) chases, so it flew over the field a couple of times, including once hovering in the air and diving it the ditch catching fish. It came up empty. I didn't get a good photograph of it because I was too excited seeing this bird (clearly) for the first time ever! What a day!

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)
An old friend greeted me as I headed back home just as I was thinking not having seen a heron this last couple of days. Same with the Snow Geese. I guess all of them are on Wrangel Island now.
.

3 comments:

Tarolino said...

Absolutely wonderful bird cavaäcade again. You do take such excellent photos and I nearly envy you for having such a wonderful variety around you. Must be some special place were you do your walks as the scenic shots are all so 'scenic'.

Chris said...

Hi
What a day you got. A fantastic one it seems. I love the shots of the Great Horned Owl, I have never seen it and it looks like a big bird. Well done and thanks for showing us all these species which make your days!!

PSYL said...

Thank you both. I'm sure the biodiversity in your areas are just as interesting as the ones here in Western Canada.

But as the saying goes "grass is greener on the other side," it's easy to lose the appreciation of ones familiar surroundings. Tell you the truth, I am just as jealous of the fauna and flora seen in your areas as you're of mine.

Have a good weekend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...