2010/11/01

Franklin's Gull, where are you?

I rarely, if ever, dedicate my outing just to see a rare bird or a lifer. That would involve too much effort and time, which is something I do not want to do during a relaxing free day. However, last week when I saw photos and a blog post that there is a Franklin's Gull somewhere in Steveston (here and here), I decided to go out one of these days to check it out myself. But it seemed that I underestimated the gulls' population in Steveston (or overestimated my ability to find a gull which is sometime I don't do) and couldn't find it today. Oh well, maybe it was not meant to be.

On the other hand, I did saw other birds...

Saw my first two eagles since coming back to BC!


Pied-billed Grebe (Podilymbus podiceps)
A super cute-looking Pied-billed Grebe.

Saw lots of Northern Harriers hunting along the West Dyke Trail today.


Northern Harrier (Circus cyaneus)

Northern Harrier (Circus cyaneus)

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)


Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)
Then I went to Terra Nova and as I crossed the bridge, there was this Great Blue Heron in the water being an excellent model.

Just when I was about to head home, the breaks in the clouds were covered again and the world suddenly became gray with a hint of winter almost.

Oh yeah, happy Halloween (if you are still into it).
.

1 comment:

Clare said...

Here's a blog post by someone who saw the Franklin's Gull. It might help you locate it if it is still there.

http://birdaz.com/blog/2010/10/30/a-prairie-dove-in-vancouver/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...