2010/02/22

Mother finding chickadee cavity and bittern

Seeing how the Spring-like conditions have brought some flowers to blossom, my mother and I went for an afternoon stroll in front of my old school today.

Moon With Blossoms
The Moon was also visible in the daytime, and I thought the flowers and branches framed the Moon nicely. Plus, I like the bokeh.

Blossom
Close-up on the flowers.

While cutting through the neighborhoods, we spotted a Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) flying in front of us. While I was hoping to photograph the bird, my mother (from another angle) saw it poked its head into a tree and came out. Examining it closely, I realized this is a cavity!

The hole is probably quite a bit larger than a loonie and about 2 meters above ground. You can't imagine how excited I was when I saw this - since I just spent the entire summer looking at nest cavities. I didn't spend too much looking at it since the chickadee was back and I did not want to disturb it. [Hugh of Rock Paper Lizard also saw the cavity excavation by chickadees last spring.]

Then we slowly walked to the dyke.

Female Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)
Not a happy duck to be photographed...

My mother seemed to be on a roll today and pointed out this bird to me when I didn't even see it. It's an American Bittern!

The bittern went into its usual stop-raise head-move again routine.

American Bittern (Botaurus lentiginosus)
It has been a while since I last saw this bird. So gorgeous! And good to know it is still around.

We were hoping to see the Bald Eagle today but they were not around when we got there. However, shortly after we sat on the bench an eagle had arrived.

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)
Thank you!

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)
My mother also said hello to her friend, the heron.

Moon watch of the day.

Another Great Blue Heron as we slowly walked home. This one was on someone's roof.

Enjoying the sunset.

And pretty soon, the sun disappeared behind the island.

So grateful to have my mother with me on my walk, otherwise I wouldn't see so many new things today.

365 days ago (2009-02-21) ... My 100th post, and right now I am in my 362nd. Wow!
.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...