2010/02/18

Northern Flicker searching for food...

Another nice day today, although it was quite chilly and windy.

Blue sky.

Young Great Blue Heron.

I biked towards Steveston today. Along the way, I was searching for the harriers that always rested on the logs when I pass by. I didn't see anything except for this little round thing moving on top of the fallen log.

It was a female Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus) searching for food within the long-dead trees.
Female Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus)

Female Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus)
Moving on to another log.

Searching for food again. I think it was digging for insects rather than drilling for them, because I didn't hear anything loud drilling noises like the ones I usually hear from woodpeckers and barbets.

Arriving at Garry Point Park. At the edge of the rain-filled pond was a group of Ring-billed Gulls.

Saw a pair of shy Red-breasted Mergansers (Mergus serrator). Such peculiar looking birds with stylish crowns.

Mt. Baker and Pilot.

Saw this Northern Harrier when I biked home - just looking around and resting.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...