2010/02/15

Awaiting blue day

As much as it is great for the world to see Vancouver's true winter gray, miserable colors (and why nobody know about this beforehand, I have no idea), I wish sunshine would just appear for a while (I tried to go out on Thursday, but as soon as I got to the dyke, it started pouring and so I went back home).

Today was just one of the days I been wishing for - although many people probably wished the same thing judging by the number of people today at the dyke.

Beautiful blue sky with a good view.

Golden-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia atricapilla)

Golden-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia atricapilla)
Plenty of birds, such as Golden-crowned Sparrows, were out foraging.

While at the Share-Farm, I saw a Short-eared Owl flying towards the Snow Geese and disappearing behind the tall grasses. I decided to go and see where it had landed and hoped I will be able to photograph it. And there it was! Standing on top of a pole and looking at the grasses below.

Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus)

Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus)

Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus)
So magnificent. It flew away shortly afterwards, but what an experience to see it closer!

By the Terra Nova Slough, I saw a pair of Killdeers again at the spot where a pair nested last year. I wonder if they are the same couple.

Killdeers (Charadrius vociferus)
Such elegant birds. I wouldn't know they were there had they not make any noises.

Sunday Sky-watching
Beautiful sky-watching at Terra Nova.
Zooming out of the TCON lens gave this interesting dark corners around the image. Is this what lomography is?

Sunset - time to go home.

Oh yeah, Happy Valentine's Day / Chinese New Year / first Canadian gold medal in Canada (can't believe no one won a gold back in '88).

1 comment:

Hugh Griffith said...

Great pictures as usual. I saw the owl last Sunday. It was flying up and down the west side of the slough.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...