2010/02/21

Another good birding day..

Another gorgeous day today!

Not a cloud in sight.

Saw this small-sized accipiter flew past me while near the golf course. I quickly turned around and followed it. It was hiding in the branches against the sun, so I had to really overexpose the picture to get a brighter shot. Luckily, the software was able to bring some of the colors back. This was definitely not a Red-tailed Hawk, I think it was either a Cooper's or a Sharp-shinned Hawk - I can never really tell them apart even with the help of this website.

A Cooper's Hawk, perhaps? Because of the finer brown streaks on the upper breast.

A Bald Eagle was already in the nest when I came out. It was sticking its head (the only reason I could spot it) and perhaps looking for its partner?

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)
A Great Blue Heron was dozing off on this tree today. Is it because it is safer and/or drier?

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)
A closer-up shot.

Golden-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia atricapilla)
Saw many Golden-crowned Sparrows today. This was one of them.

Hooded Mergansers and Gadwalls were spotted at the Terra Nova slough.

I think today was a day when I saw the most Short-eared Owls in all of my outings. I think I saw them at least five or six times today, with at least two individuals observed.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...