2009/06/18

First Accipiter Saw in Taiwan

In the morning, we went back to where we released the fledglings yesterday and searched for them again to see the interactions between the offspring and their parents.

While observing the above fledgling, I discovered an interesting observation.

In a large crevice of a Camphor tree, I saw three different Muller's Barbets utilizing the hole as a drinking and a bathing hole. It was pretty exciting to see so many barbets busy on a certain tree.

The barbets had a refreshing bath as they got their feathers nice and wet in this hot day.

Nearby, a Swinhoe's Japalura was saw hugging this branch.

When I got too close, it got scared and ran away. I picked it up and placed it on another tree.


Swinhoe's japalura (Japalura swinhonis) - 斯文豪氏攀蜥
That was when it gave me the scary look and showed me teeth.

On the way to lunch, I came across another Black-crowned Night Heron - standing on just two sticks in a pond. Quite a sight. For some reason, the Night Herons in Taiwan are just as active as when they are at night. Totally defies the meaning of a "night" heron.

Black-crowned Night Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax) - 夜鷺

Black-crowned Night Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax) - 夜鷺

Black-crowned Night Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax) - 夜鷺

Besides finding a bath hole for the barbets and getting good photographs of the Night Heron, the highlight of the day probably seeing my first Accipiter in Taiwan! It was a Crested Goshawk (Accipiter trivirgatus) perched on a tree that was also a barbet's nest tree!

Crested Goshawk (Accipiter trivirgatus) - 鳳頭蒼鷹

Even though it is a common Accipiter in Taiwan, today was my first time seeing them. And memories of the beautiful raptors back in Canada came rushed back to me.

Crested Goshawk (Accipiter trivirgatus) - 鳳頭蒼鷹
What a handsome raptor! Its look reminds me of the Bald Eagles and Red-tailed Hawk. Oh, how I miss my bird friends.
.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...