Some of the features I like about this camera are:
- a 28mm wide angle LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT lens
- powerful 18x optical zoom (equivalent to 28-504mm on a 35mm film camera)
- MEGA O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer)
- Intelligent ISO Control system
- record WVGA (848 x 480) motion images at 30 frames per second
- ability to record in RAW format
Basically, this is the camera to get familiar with if I do want to venture into the expensive world of DSLR in the future.
Unsure of how to operate some of the setting yet, here are the photos I took this beautiful afternoon. The wonderful optical zoom is definitely noticeable in my photos - the animals are larger and closer and more details are recorded. And I love having to actually zoom out in order to fit the whole animal (e.g. picture of the Great Blue Heron) into the frame. Wow!
Red-winged Blackbirds (Agelaius phoeniceus) and European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)
Muskrat. This Muskrat was spotted in a different area than where I usually saw them. Must be a different guy.
Looks like Golden-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia atricapilla)
Northern Harrier. What a wonderful sighting of it not flying. Came it totally by chance while I was taking pictures of the landscape.