2009/02/19

Impatiently waiting for Spring

Looking at my blog's ClustrMaps, I was amazed to see many new visitors from other parts of the world. I am so excited so I just want to shout a big Hello and wave to everybody, and say thank you all for visiting!

Even though there may be language differences, I am sure everyone enjoys looking at nature and wildlife photos, so here are some pictures from my biking trip this afternoon.

I came across an American Bittern just as I was putting my camera on. Talking about being at the right place at the right moment. It slowly walked away from me, pausing every few steps later and holding its head upright to imitate the surrounding cattails. Amazing. I even lost track of it a couple of times while fumbling with the modes on my camera.

This juvenile Bald Eagle was very difficult to photograph simply because of the branches between it and I. But I like this picture since you can see its dangerously-looking hooked beak!

Juvenile Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)
Looked as if this Great Blue Heron is looking at its own reflection.

I saw many Great Blue Herons today. One that I had the opportunity of coming up close to is this one on the field of Terra Nova Community Garden. While at opposite ends of the field, I thought it was going to walk (or fly) away from me. Instead, it walked towards me and paid no attention to me. It was only when it got to the edge of the field that it took off. That surprised me a bit and left me with a pre-flight photo.

Not a great photo, but it's a good capture of the moment.

Walking around the Terra Nova Rural Park, I immediately saw this patch of Snowdrops flowering on the ground. So pretty. Spring will for sure add some colors to the photos on my blog.

Biking to the bike everyday brings constant encounters with the Red-winged Blackbirds. They are just everywhere right now!

Konk-la-reee!!!

Wanting to take some photographs of colorful flowers, I returned back to the community garden and took this photo as a reminder of the winter and hoping for spring. I turned it into black & white and added some re-touches here and there. I think it's a beautiful picture.

Impatiently waiting for spring
Impatiently waiting for Spring

Riding back home, I took these photos.

Black-capped Chickadee waiting for its turn at the feeder.

Great Blue Heron preparing for the bad weather this coming weekend? Hope not.

Same place, same day, different Bald Eagle.

Sun setting behind the gulf islands.

A panorama view of the sunset. Have a good night (or day), everyone!
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Bittern photo. They are so humourous, aren't they? As usual, you manage to get great shots.

PSYL said...

Yes, bitterns are indeed funny creatures. Such awkward behaviors but they serve it well to camouflage it from most people.

And thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...