2013/11/30

Being a tourist in Ottawa

One thing I enjoy about being in Ottawa is that there are so many interesting things to see and photograph.  I bused to downtown today to get next month's bus pass and then I wandered around and took photos.

Parliament and Rideau Canal
Parliament Hill and Rideau Canal

Downtown Ottawa
Downtown Ottawa.  Architectural-wise, I imagine this is what modern European cities with historical buildings must look like.

2013-11-30
Notre-Dame Cathedral

2013-11-30
Another view

Notre-Dame Cathedral
From a distance

2013-11-30
As I was standing outside photographing the building, a bride came out from the side door and entered through the main door.

2013-11-30
It must be an expensive place to rent for a wedding.

Parliament Hill
Then I crossed the Royal Alexandra Interprovincial Bridge and headed towards Quebec.  The ability to walk cross a provincial boundary is quite interesting.

Parliament Hill
There will be a lot of photos with the Parliament Buildings in them for the next few years.

2013-11-30
Sunset

Sunset over Ottawa River
Most of the sky was grey except for the orange glow in the horizon.

Parliament Hill
Winter city

River Ice Formation
This may look like a close-up image, but it was actually ice forming on the Ottawa River.

2013-11-30
Almost at the Quebec side of the bridge.

2013-11-30
My fingers were freezing from picture-taking so I turned around once I got onto Quebec.

2013-11-30
Heading back to Ontario

2013-11-30

Royal Alexandra Interprovincial Bridge
There was no car crossing due to construction so some people were walking and biking on the bridge itself.  I took the opportunity to take photos of the bridge.

Royal Alexandra Interprovincial Bridge
I enjoy taking photos with contrasting patterns and lines.

Royal Alexandra Interprovincial Bridge

Royal Alexandra Interprovincial Bridge
I took photos from all perspectives possible.

Sunset over Ottawa River
Sun was still setting.

Flag football in Major Hill's Park
Once I got to Major's Hill Park, my fingers warmed up enough, and then I saw this group of people playing football so I snapped some more photos.
Flag football in Major Hill's Park
Only in Canada, eh?

ByWard Market
ByWard Market with a bit of Christmas feel to it.  It would be nicer if it was darker and there were lights on the trees.

Speaking of trees, my landlord here in Ottawa set up a Christmas tree in the living room yesterday.  Here are some photos.

Christmas Tree

Christmas Tree

2013-11-30
Bokeh tree

Can't believe it will be December tomorrow and 2013 will soon come to an end.

2 comments:

Susannah Anderson said...

Beautiful shots! I hope you're wearing gloves, even to take photos. Getting your fingertips frost-bitten is no fun. And very painful as they thaw.

(I cut a hole in the tip of my glove's shutter finger, just enough to manage the controls.)

PSYL said...

Thanks Susannah. I have gloves but they were too thick to operate the shutter. I will need to rethink my strategy for photography here in Ottawa because it is definitely much colder here (relative to BC).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...