2011/08/08

Trading dragonflies for people

I wasn't in a particular good mood early on in my bike ride when some morons in a car decided to yell when coming up right behind me on a bike. Not cool at all.

So I pedaled past Steveston (so many people, with the festival and the farmer's market going on at the same time, as well as the event going on at London Farm) and headed towards Terra Nova. Terra Nova now is like a dragonfly heaven, so many individuals (compare to the ones I saw up North) flying around and claiming territories. That put me in a good mood already.

Four-spotted Skimmer (Libellula quadrimaculata)

Four-spotted Skimmer (Libellula quadrimaculata)
Saw a couple of Four-spotted Skimmer (Libellula quadrimaculata).

This stationary Blue-eyed Darner (Aeshna multicolor) was quite easy to spot with its bright blue coloration.

Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum)

Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum)
On the other side of the field, I heard several Cedar Waxwings (Bombycilla cedrorum).

As well as spotting a fledgling taking food from an adult.

I like this sign at the Community Garden.

One of the gardeners pointed out this nest to me. It is a nest of the Bald-faced Hornet, about the size of a basketball and about 15-feet above ground. It is located at the edge of the garden so I am not certain about the risk it poses to people.

Female Common Whitetail (Libellula lydia)
While looking at the nest, a female Common Whitetail (Libellula lydia) stopped right in front of me and allowed me to take some pictures. Females lack the pruinescence that the males have. See Rock Paper Lizard's post for more detailed information.

And then I went to Terra Nova Slough where there were so many dragonflies flying around that I wish I visited the spot sooner.

This is a Eight-spotted Skimmer (Libellula forensis), a "slightly pruinescent species".

Unknown Dragonfly
Saw this unknown female laying eggs in the water.

Seeing all these magnificent animals put me in a better mood than earlier. I like animals more than people, especially idiotic people.

PS - I ID'ed most of the species saw today by reading Rock Paper Lizard's posts on dragonflies, thanks Hugh. Oh, how I wish there is a color-picture field guide on the dragonflies of BC (or even Western North America). I would definitely buy one!

1 comment:

Hugh Griffith said...

PSYL, Thanks for the links, and great pictures as usual. There is a good book, "Introducing the Dragonflies of British Columbia and the Yukon," by Robert A. Cannings. 2002 Royal BC Museum. Includes damselflies. It's a reasonably small paperback, and I own 3 copies of it (not sure how that happened). You are more than welcome to one of them. Email me contact information if you're interested.

Hugh

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...