2011/08/14

Insects from Iona Beach

I drove my mom to Iona Beach Regional Park to check out some wildlife before we went over to pick up my father from work.

Nice weather today. I am beginning to think that birding in the summer is not as exciting as spring or fall (when the birds are passing through during migration). We saw a lot of swallows, some gulls, and some ducks.

Found this tiny insect with a strange-looking antennae. Asked for help here: BugGuide. [Edit: It is identified as Heterotoma planicornis, a Mirid bug, an introduced species from Europe.]
Link
There were many damselflies as well. I believe the ones below are Pacific Forktails (Ischnura cervula). While searching for identification, I came across this Odonata-focused blog in Pacific Northwest and the associated site. Definitely good references to bookmark.

Pacific Forktail (Ischnura cervula)

Pacific Forktail (Ischnura cervula)

Pacific Forktail (Ischnura cervula)

Aside from the Whites, there were plenty of skippers as well, including the Woodland Skippers (Ochlodes sylvanoides) below.

Woodland Skipper (Ochlodes sylvanoides)

Mating Woodland Skippers (Ochlodes sylvanoides)
Mating pair.

Red-tailed Hawk

Plenty of blackberries to pick and eat and pass the time.

In the afternoon, I biked to Phoenix Pond in Steveston.

Bushtit looking at me.

Yellowlegs taking a nap in this warm weather.

You can barely see Mount Baker today.

LinkConservation Officer Service truck. A question I always wonder when biking along the dyke and Steveston is do people need a fishing permit to fish off docks? I needed one when fishing in Ivvavik National Park and there were restrictions to how many I could catch a day, but I am not sure if similar rules are in place. The Dolly Varden I caught in the Firth River (the first fish I ever caught) was delicious (and oh-so easy).

1 comment:

Tim said...

The lower Fraser is tidal, so yes, an intertidal license is required. Whether it is enforced is another issue.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...