2011/08/18

Pretty good day - wildlife-wise

Glaucous-winged Gull (Larus glaucescens)
This Glaucous-winged Gull was staring at me when I arrived at Phoenix Pond in Steveston. Looking around, I realized there was a dead salmon in the water below.

A large-sized fish, at least 80-cm long.

A Mallard for comparison.

Plenty of birds around waiting for an easy meal.

Spotted this White-crowned Sparrow on its way to the reeds.

House Sparrow (Passer domesticus)
A young House Sparrow

Over at London's Landing, there was a group of Bushtits hanging out in the trees beyond the railings.

Not a big fan of birds with bright eyes, I like dark-eyed birds more.

Pecking at dead seeds (for insects?)

Almost an action shot.

Bushtit (Psaltriparus minimus)
Focusing

Attack!

Lower mountain ranges to the south of Mount Baker

Unknown Bumblebee (Bombus spp.)
An unknown bumblebee on a thistle. I used my 70-300 lens for this photo (manually focus), and because it was in a shaded area, I had to use the flash. It turned out surprisingly sharp.

A Woodland Skipper, I think.

Saw this Common Whitetail (Plathemis lydia) female. I like this spot where I can see lots of dragonflies and they like to perch for you to photograph them.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...