2009/10/31

Photographic Post: Happy Happy Halloween

Saw too many interesting things today and resulted in taking too many photos. What a fun day!

Sky-watching on Halloween
Biked to the dyke and enjoyed a beautiful sunny afternoon.

Northern Harrier (Circus cyaneus)
In the distance was a Northern Harrier resting. This is probably one of my better shots of the harrier. Today was officially the first time I taken out the TCON and used it for wildlife pictures.

Today also marked the first time I observed Cedar Waxwings (Bombycilla cedrorum)! What a beautiful bird! They were unafraid of me and flew over my heads again and again. The ones I photographed were mostly juveniles resting on trees, as identified by their "streaked fronts and generally washed-out appearance."

Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum)

Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum)


Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum)

Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum)

Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum)
I believe this is an adult.

After spending a good amount of time admiring the waxwings, I continued on with my bike ride. Along the way, a Bald Eagle flew in front of me and tried to perch on a skinny branch. The stick broke, the eagle then did a somersault, and flew over me with the branches in its claws. What a spectacular sighting.


Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)
Bald Eagle flying over me and heading towards the nest by the golf course. I guess it's time to come back and repair their nest.

By the Terra Nova slough, I spotted a single Yellowlegs all by itself. I am guessing it was a Lesser Yellowlegs though I can't really tell for sure. Again, I took these shots with my TCON.

Lesser Yellowlegs (Tringa flavipes)

Lesser Yellowlegs (Tringa flavipes)
I like the bird and its reflection.

Snow Geese and Sky-watching on Halloween
Snow Geese over Terra Nova.

Sky-watching on Halloween

Sky-watching on Halloween
Beautiful views.

Snow Geese and Moon
Snow Geese over the Moon.

Sky-watching on Halloween
Time to head home.

In the evening, after dinner, my mother and I walked to the local community center where a firework display was held. Below were some shots of the beautiful fireworks!

Halloween Fireworks

Halloween Fireworks

Halloween Fireworks


Halloween Fireworks
One of my favorites. Look like feathers or something.

Halloween Fireworks


Halloween Fireworks

Halloween Fireworks

Halloween Fireworks

Halloween Fireworks
Another one of my favorites. A flower perhaps?

Overall, just a wonderful ending to a memory-lasting October (of 2009)!!!
.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...