2012/09/19

White Underwing moth (Catocala relicta)

It was rainy and windy here in Peterborough yesterday.  While working in my office, I noticed a large moth outside my window.  I decided to retrieve it out of the rain and wind and bring it back into the office.  It was very pretty and fluffy, and so I brought it home with me to take a few photos of it.

Here are some photos that I took last night.  This morning, with the weather being sunny, I brought the moth back to campus and released it.

White Underwing Moth (Catocala relicta)
Photo taken with the Raynox 250 attached to the Olympus 40-150mm.  I made some mistakes in the previous posts saying it was the Raynox 150, sorry.

White Underwing Moth (Catocala relicta)
Another shot.

White Underwing Moth (Catocala relicta)
I still have my Panasonic FZ18 with me despite not using it very much.  I attached to the Raynox to the FZ18, and it provided a much higher magnification (than the Olympus 40-150)!

White Underwing Moth (Catocala relicta)
However, with the large differences in megapixels and sensor size, the Olympus still provides a sharper image.

White Underwing Moth (Catocala relicta)

White Underwing Moth (Catocala relicta)
The identity of this moth is White Underwing moth (Catocala relicta), a.k.a. The Relict.  It's a common species with few information on it.  Such is the life of a common species.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...