2011/03/08

Seeing birds up-close: robin, cormorant, and falcon

Another day of gorgeous weather! Look at the beautiful blue sky.

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)
Bald Eagle perched next to a construction site and unfazed by the noises.

While biking towards Steveston, there was a juvenile Double-crested Cormorant dozing in the fountain of a residential complex. It was very close (about 5 feet, with water and cattails in between) and I was able to take these photos without disturbing it too much.

Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax  auritus)
In a dreamy state.

Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus)
There were some flies or gnats flying around it, and this was its attempt to scaring them off.

Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus)
Beautiful green eyes.

Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus)
Moved around to get the water sprays in the background to produce pleasing bokehs.

American Robin (Turdus migratorius)
The second bird I got close to was this American Robin hiding in the bushes. It was really close (about an arm's length) and I feared it may be injured or something. I stayed close by and watched it picked a worm from the soil. Eventually, another robin appeared nearby and this one flew away without a problem. I'm glad to see it okay.

American Robin (Turdus migratorius)
My close-up shot of the American Robin without zooming out at all.

A system is heading this way, as you can see in this photo with the sun disappearing behind the thick clouds.
Meanwhile, on the north side of the sky, just some cumulous clouds along the North Shore Mountains.

I figured it would probably be a good time to head home and so I slowly pedaled back. When I got to near the end of Number Three Road, something flew from the grass banks and towards a tree.
Its flight seemed different from the pigeons or other hawks, so I quickly stopped and took out my bins. It was a Peregrine Falcon! It stayed on the tree for a few minutes before flying to the ground again.

Landing on the rocky river bank. At this time, I was biking farther and farther from my bike and so I turned around to get it. But when I looked back, the falcon was gone! I cursed my bike, but decided to pass through the dog park to see if that was the direction the falcon headed.

I was right! It was perched on a tree at the edge of the treed area and looking around. I got to about 15-feet away from it and took the following photos. Too bad the sun was behind the clouds not able to give me good lighting

Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus)

Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus)


Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus)

What a wonderful end to a series of sunny days. Cloudy and rainy days follow, I imagine.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Stunning images for an nice wander about the countryside! It is always a real pleasure to visit your blog! Kudos on being a great destination!

PSYL said...

Thank you, John.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...