2011/03/07

Keep on birding

Feeling the need to start building my insect knowledge, I first went to South Dyke Sharing Farm to see if I can spot any insects. No such luck.

Keep on birding until spring arrives, I suppose.

Mew Gull (Larus canus)
Weather was nice today when I went out. Mew Gull (I think) flying by.

I walked into the forest near Finn Slough when I saw some Varied Thrushes the last time here. A couple were spotted, but these birds seem to know the best spots to go for me to not get a good photograph.

When I heard loud knockings in the forest, I scanned the trees until I spotted this Downy Woodpecker by the base of a snapped branch. Its drumming may be a territorial warning, or perhaps attracting potential mates.

Reminds me of a video I saw a few days ago here.

Two female Common Mergansers were on the river, as well as a Double-crested Cormorant.

Common Merganser (Mergus merganser)

In Finn Slough, I spent some time watching the Mute Swans. When this young swan swam past me, it actually started making sounds. It was hard to describe the sound, it sounded like a broken whooping cushion, IMO.

The adult was silent swimming past me.

Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) female

Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) female
Took a couple of photos of this female Red-winged Blackbird. The lighting was good for sharp images.

Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)
Black-capped Chickadee.

The sun sets about 6-PM nowadays, and with the time changes next week, days will be longer with sun setting at 7-PM. Spring is almost here!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...