2011/03/27

Blossoms and then Cooper's Hawk

First thing today was going to London Heritage Farm to find myself some critters. I didn't see much until I reached the back corner of the farm and saw bees flying towards it.

It's a Bee Yard!

With many bee boxes. Now that I am interested in them, it's very cool to see them work. Since there are no flowers yet in nearby private gardens, most of them flew beyond the fence to elsewhere (where, is the main question).

Here's a bee taking a little break, and perhaps having a drink as well, like this.

Domestic Chicken (Gallus gallus domesticus)
There are chickens on the farm too. Sometimes they can be found roaming freely around the farm. Here's one interesting behaviour that I observed - when all the chickens were pecking on the ground, and suddenly the male called out, all the hens would ran towards the cock and started pecking on the ground near him. Not certain what I was observing as there seemed to be nothing unique about those particular spots.

Then I biked to Steveston to photographing more blossoms. This is the male Bufflehead on the Phoenix Pond on a grey afternoon.

White Blossom
Got one nice shot from there. But it was cloudy so I didn't get many more.

I decided to bike along the West Dyke Trail to Seafair Drive, where I saw some nice pink blossoms from the previous years. And it didn't disappoint this year either.

Pink Blossom

Pink Bokehs Everywhere

Blossom Close-up


Since it was getting late, I didn't go to Terra Nova and biked home instead. On South Dyke Trail, near the London Heritage Farm, I spotted this Cooper's Hawk just above the trail/road.

Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii)

Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii)

Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii)

Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii)

It didn't pay much attention to me, although it did seemed annoyed with me taking its pictures and flew to a taller perch instead.

Time to head on home.

PS - Need to wake up tomorrow morning at 4:30 am to watch a particular episode of Great Canadian Parks - Ivvavik National Park, because it may be the place I will spent the next two summers in.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...