2010/09/08

My home (range)

Today's weather was so nice that I biked from my house to the South Dyke Trail, to Steveston, then to my old West Dyke Trail.

Ship and Wind Waves

Painted Turtles enjoying the Sun

Sweet Pea flower (Lathyrus odoratus)
Saw a lot of these flowers along the trail. Sweet Pea flowers?

Cows in Richmond! Yep, they are Belted Galloways owned by the Richmond Councillor Harold Steves.

I tried mooing at them, but I guess they are not as curious as the cows back in Carden.

While I was biking towards the West Dyke Trail and all these familiar sceneries came back to me, a light bulb went off in my head and I realized that this is my home! I figured out that the (new) place that I live in now is just a nest, a shelter, and it is only a small part of my home! The places that I frequently visit and feel most comfortable at, they are my home, or maybe my home range (in biology terms). It is good to establish this new found idea.

Sky-watching
My home.

Herons on the watch
And my neighbors, I guess. There were seven of them, but only five fit in the picture.

West Dyke Trail
Sky-watching.

I tried timing the time it takes between the eagle's nest (next to the golf course) on the trail and my home. It took less than an hour, but probably 12-km one way. I couldn't be sure because I stopped for a photo shoot with this juvenile heron.

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)
I miss seeing you guys. Much less skittish than the ones back in Carden.
.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...