2015/04/11

Wildlife observed (so far) this week

Now that the weather is getting warmer and sunnier, I went out to a few different spots this week and brought my camera with me.

Strathcona Park (Tuesday)

I went out to Strathcona Park during lunch break.  I had the 40-150 lens on my camera, and I was practicing the continuous auto-focus (with tracking) on the gulls.

Mallards (Anas platyrhynchos)
Mallards (Anas platyrhynchos)

Mallards (Anas platyrhynchos)
Quack, quack.

Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis)
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis).  Because of the non-native lens mount (4/3 to m4/3), the C-AF with tracking is not great but this was almost impossible to do on my E-620, so I can't complain.

2015-04-07-P4070037
As I was photographing the gulls, I saw this large, dark bird flying across the Rideau River.  The bird (Double-crested Cormorant, Phalacrocorax auritus) is swimming towards the right side of the image.  See if you can spot it.

McCarthy Woods (Wednesday)

I did some grocery shopping on Wednesday and then went to McCarthy Woods to look for birds.  If I remember correctly, it was overcast that day, but I spotted two new species for this year.  Unfortunately, I forgot to switch my lens from yesterday so these photos were taken with the 40-150 again.

2015-04-08-P4080070
 Common Redpoll (Acanthis flammea)

2015-04-08-P4080090
 American Tree Sparrow (Spizella arborea)

Mud Lake (Saturday)

Given the increasingly warm weather, a few grad students and I went out to Mud Lake hoping to do herping.  Sadly, we did not find any frogs, snakes, or salamanders (mainly because a lot of the ground and ponds are still partly frozen), but I did see a couple of new birds for this year.

White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis)
Feeding sunflower seeds to a White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis).

2015-04-11-P4110020
Brown Creeper (Certhia americana)

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)

2015-04-11-P4110050
Goose unafraid and walking behind people.

Eastern gray squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis)
Eastern gray squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) unimpressed with us not feeding it.

2015-04-11-P4110052
 Bohemian Waxwing (Bombycilla garrulus)

2015-04-11-P4110063
 Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula)


It will be another sunny and warm (about 17 degrees Celsius) day tomorrow.  I wonder where I should go?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...