2015/04/09

Birds of Gunnison National Forest, Colorado

After posts of flowers and insects, here are finally the birds that I photographed last summer.

2014-05-27-P5274720
 Gray Jay (Perisoreus canadensis)

Gray Jay (Perisoreus canadensis)

Gray Jay (Perisoreus canadensis)
Watching me curiously as I conduct my field work.

2014-05-28-P5284802

Dusky Grouse (Dendragapus obscurus)
Dusky Grouse (Dendragapus obscurus).  Came across this beautiful bird as I was walking to my field site one morning.  I dropped everything and "stalked" it for a while until it flew up to a tree and I lost sight of it.

Broad-tailed Hummingbird (Selasphorus platycercus)

Broad-tailed Hummingbird (Selasphorus platycercus)
Broad-tailed Hummingbird (Selasphorus platycercus) - these birds are almost everywhere at RMBL.  Some even visited the Ipomopsis plants by the lab's windowsill when the window was open.

P6145726

Wren (Family Troglodytidae)
Wren (Family Troglodytidae). Not sure what species it is.

Mountain Bluebird (Sialia currucoides)
Mountain Bluebird (Sialia currucoides)

P7197347
Female bluebird.  Another species that is fairly easy to spot at RMBL.

Mountain Bluebird (Sialia currucoides)

Mountain Bluebird (Sialia currucoides)

P6025368
Red-naped Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus nuchalis) - lifer!

P6266071
I am always less confident in identifying species (even if I know them well in familiar places) when I am in a new area, but this looks like a Hairy Woodpecker (Picoides villosus) to me.

P5315146
Unknown Flycatcher (Empidonax sp.)

Unknown Flycatcher (Empidonax sp.)
Unknown Flycatcher (Empidonax sp.)

Pine Siskin (Carduelis pinus)
Pine Siskin (Carduelis pinus) on my cabin.

White-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia leucophrys)
White-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia leucophrys)

P7126846
Western Tanager (Piranga ludoviciana).  Saw this bird a couple of times in the field, but this was the only decent shot I got.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...