2012/08/30

Black Swallowtail and (almost) Blue Moon

I was at school yesterday (Aug 29) doing some work.  After a while, I brought my camera out with me to go on a stroll behind the building.  I didn't see anything worth photographing until I saw this Black Swallowtail (Papilio polyxenes) visiting the clovers.  Swallowtails are pretty difficult to photograph since they are very fast flyers and rarely stay still in one spot.  I was chasing it around (from a non-disturbing distance) before I took this decent photos.  The males are brighter and with a yellow band near the edge of his wings; thus, this is a female.

2012-08-29-P8296434

2012-08-29-P8296429

Black Swallowtail (Papilio polyxenes) female

I spent most of my time today inside my new place in Peterborough because I was waiting for the apartment inspection of my old place.  However, the meeting got pushed to tomorrow and I got lazy, so I did not really go anywhere today, except later in the evening where I took pictures of the nearly full moon.  According to this website (and NASA), tomorrow's full moon will be the latest "Blue Moon" until 2015.

Almost Blue Moon (2012-08-30)
So go out and look up at the sky tonight!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...