2011/02/26

Pretty good birding afternoon at Garry Point

I thought it would be colder today, apparently not. Maybe because I had another sweater and a warmer pants on. Nonetheless, it was another beautiful day out.

Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus)
The first birds I saw were four Killdeers in this field sticking their bills into the water.

Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus)
Lucky shot of the Double-crested Cormorant flying across the water.

Two Bald Eagles circling overhead. I suspect they might be building a nest here at the end of Number 3 Road.

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)
A couple of herons flew by, and one landed on the wooden bridge. I didn't want to spook it so I took photos from the other side of the road.

An adult heron on the river bank.

Last night was the coldest in twenty-something years on this date, a film of ice was found on the rocks surrounding the Steveston Harbour.

Then I went to the library to return some books, afterwards, I went to Garry Point Park.

Saw this male Red-breasted Merganser sharing the pond with a female Bufflehead.

Red-breasted Merganser Male (Mergus serrator)
Handsome shot of the merganser.

Male diving into the water.

Male merganser coming up while female bufflehead diving down.

Shriveled crocuses flowers. Too cold?

View of Mount Baker from Steveston
Clear view to Mount Baker.

Common Mergansers (Mergus merganser)
A female Common Merganser and many males following her.

I walked to the edge of the water to get better photos, and they swam away from me. A few moments later, the female changed her mind and started moving towards my direction.

Common Merganser Female (Mergus merganser)

Common Merganser Male (Mergus merganser)
A male decided to follow suit.

Who is then followed several other drakes.

Unidentified Gull (Larus spp.)
A gull decided to swim in front of me to see what the commotion was about.

While biking back home, I heard and saw many House Sparrow chattering and hiding in these crab traps.

Sunset through the trees

Reflected in the water
Sun setting.

This young Bald Eagle was on the same branch when I went to and came back from Steveston.

A couple more herons flew overhead but the lighting was too poor for a decent photo.

Last glimmer of ray
Almost gone.

Sun disappeared behind the mountains
Then gone.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...