2011/01/09

Walk Around Deer Lake Park

While my mother was in Burnaby visiting family friends, I also tagged along and visited Deer Lake Park on my own. It's a nice park - pretty natural considering all the houses and roads around it. I believe the last time I was here was for my limnology course in my last year of university, collecting some water samples in the lake, which was at least four years ago. Wow, time sure goes by quick.

I was worried that it might rain here in Burnaby during my walk, but it only did briefly at the end of the walk.

Walking through the marshy area, I saw my first hummingbird of the year!

Anna's Hummingbird (Calypte anna)
I believe it is an Anna's Hummingbird (Calypte anna), but it was too far away and was backlit to see clearly.

Stretching its wings.

Despite the warm weather today, the lakeside were all frozen - probably from last night. Someone nicely put out seeds along the walkway for the birds.

Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis)
Feasted by this Dark-eyed Junco, for example.

There were plenty of waterfowls in the lake too.

Watching this female Hooded Merganser attempting to swallow a fish she caught. Successful in the end.

Also saw several Ring-necked Duck (Aythya collaris) today.

Ring-necked Duck (Aythya collaris)

Ring-necked Ducks (Aythya collaris)
Male and female.

Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis)

Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis)
Many gulls around as well.

Standing Amongst the Trees
The sky presented beautiful background at the dark trees.

Almost one full trip around the lake.

The clouds parted in a weird way - dome-like.

Zooming in.

At the Beaver Creek Biofiltration Pond, I saw a Hooded Merganser pair and a long Great Blue Heron.

Hooded Merganser (Lophodytes cucullatus)

Hooded Mergansers (Lophodytes cucullatus)
I miss seeing these shy birds. I don't see them as often now living here farther away from Terra Nova.

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)
The lonely GBH.

Heading back to meet up with my mother.

View of the lake on the hill.
.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...