2014/06/04

Daily life in Colorado - Part 1

I am certain I will have many posts like this which are just random assortment of photos that I take on a daily basis.

Research

P5315137
Collecting Mertensia fusiformis flowers.

P5315138
Pollen supplementation (i.e., hand-pollinating open flowers).

P6015174
Brushing dehiscing anthers against stigmas.

Judd Falls

There is a waterfall just a short hike away from RMBL.  I went there Saturday afternoon just before dinner.

P5315159

Judd Falls
It's a pretty waterfall, but there aren't many accessible places to take photos.

Wildlife around RMBL

P5315142
Deer like to hang out around cabins.

P5315150
Saw this Western terrestrial garter snake (Thamnophis elegans) on my hike to Judd Falls.

P5305092
Coyote tracks when I was hiking back to my cabin.

White-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus)
Saw this deer while I was collecting M. fusiformis flowers.  I was hidden behind the trees, so I was able to take this photo without spooking it.

Kebler Pass

P5294984
This will another study site once all the snow melts.

Aspens

Aspens
I like the shadows extending below the trees.

Aspens
Cool aspen forest


One of the most abundant (or visible) plants around RMBL is the corn lily - they are found around cabins and in the fields, basically any wet area you can find, and they'll be there (in large numbers, usually).

Corn lilies (Veratrum californicum)
Corn lilies along a small creek.

Corn lily (Veratrum californicum)
It is quite an interesting-looking plant with the artistic leave veins.

Sceneries

Yes, more scenic images.

Gunnison National Forest
I attempted to hike to Emerald Lake on Sunday, but an avalanche had blocked a portion of the road, and I wasn't exactly prepared for it.

Gunnison National Forest
Still a beautiful view though.

Gunnison National Forest
The view on the way walking back to the cabins.

Gunnison National Forest
A nice looking cabin among the mountains.

Gunnison National Forest
A small pool of snowmelt in the meadow and with Gothic Mountain's reflection on it.

Gunnison National Forest
Gothic Mountain.

Gunnison National Forest
Mounted Crested Butte

Gunnison National Forest
Close-up

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...