2012/03/22

More insects from Ivvavik National Park - Conclusion of 2011

I hope I haven't post these photos yet. Life is incredibly busy at the moment. I am still in the processing of sorting and analyzing my data from my first field season. On top of that, I need to find and hire a field assistant, have my second supervisory committee meeting before I leave for fieldwork, buy my plane tickets and field equipments, do my taxes, sort out my housing situation while I am gone as well as when I return from the field, and I am going to St. Louis for 10 days in April to take part in a pollination biology field course. Just listing it makes me wonder how I am going to get it all done, even though I know I will somehow.

Well, before I head out to Inuvik in two months, I really should post the remaining of my insect photos from Ivvavik National Park. So here they are, the final photographic post of my 2011 field season. Once again, thanks to all the kind folks at BugGuide for their help.

Nordic Mountain Grasshopper (Melanoplus frigidus) - male
Nordic Mountain Grasshopper (Melanoplus frigidus) - male

Free-living Hemipterans (Suborder Auchenorrhyncha)
Definitely a leafhopper (Family Cicadellidae), perhaps a Limotettix sp.?

Andrena spp. (Mining Bee) on Lapland rosebay flowers
I really should take more photos of the bees last summer. Will try to do more of that this summer. Here is an Andrena sp. (Mining Bee) collecting pollen from Lapland rosebay (Rhododendron lapponicum) flowers.

Andrena spp. (Mining Bee) on Lapland rosebay flowers

Andrena spp. (Mining Bee) on Lapland rosebay flowers

Lygus spp. (Lygus bugs)
Here's a plant bug (Family Miridae) on a soapberry plant, people think it is a Lygus sp.

Celastrina spp. (Azures) on male soapberry flowers
One of the rare visitors of my soapberry plant - an Azure butterfly.

Silvery Blue (Glaucopsyche lygdamus)
Towards the end of the day, I was tired and took my socks off and laid them on the field. Pretty soon, a Silvery Blue (Glaucopsyche lygdamus) showed up and starting drinking the salts, I suppose.

Freija Fritillary (Boloria freija)
Lastly, a Freija Fritillary (Boloria freija) on a vaccinium (blueberry) plant. It is surprising how much you learn about plants and insects after one field season of studying them.

Time for bed.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...