2012/03/18

Deer on the way from school

It has been another fine and strangely warm weekend. After finishing up the movie I watched last night and getting groceries in the morning, I biked to school again to do some more work.

It seems that the warm temperature has been signaling the insects from emergence, however, I have yet to see any flower buds opening yet on any of the trees. I wonder if this is going to cause some problems with insects needing plant nectar and pollen for survival. On the way to school, I stopped at one of the feeders to see if there are any birds. Instead, I photographed these insects and spider.

2012-03-18-P3189334
Some Hemiptera.

2012-03-18-P3189316
One of the wolf spiders always hopping in the leaf litter and substrate.

2012-03-18-P3189302
Unknown fly lost part of its fore leg already.

Even without the grackles, chickadees, or blackbirds, you can always count on the robins to show up and give you some interesting photographs.

American Robin (Turdus migratorius)

American Robin (Turdus migratorius) with a worm
Robin with a worm.

American Robin (Turdus migratorius)
Looking at me.

After finishing up work around 6pm and biking back home, I noticed there were something through the sumacs on the side of the trail. Then I realized it was a White-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus)! It was merely about 10 meters away from me, and it didn't react at all when it saw me photographing it.

2012-03-18-P3189407
Eating away.

White-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus)

White-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus)
Beautiful animal.

It wasn't until two other bikers and a couple with a small dog that deer decided it had enough of us and pounced away with its white tail in the alarming position. Then I saw it joined up with another deer not too far away from the bike trail, but I decided to leave them be and be on my way.

Not something you see everyday on the way to school, I'd say.

366 days ago (2011-03-17)...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...