2009/07/14

Hard-working Father Barbet & Handsome Night Heron

My new co-worker (who has taken over most of my outdoor works in the botanical garden) is in Hualien this week to assist a small mammal field survey, so I am back resuming my old jobs. Today, I observed the barbets in the morning and worked in the office in the afternoon. It is the morning job that is worth posting and mentioning about.

We are continuing to record the behaviours of the barbets in this nest. We believe the nestlings (two of them, to be exact) will be leaving nest near the end of the week since the nestling(s) is poking its head out of the nest quite frequently now (i.e. getting more interested and curious about the outside world).

Nevertheless, the nestlings (left photo) still have a lot of growing to do before it reaches the colorful plumage of its father (right photo).

Eat this cicada and grow stronger, my children. It's time for me to find more food for you.

While watching the male barbet feeding its children every 20 to 30 minutes or so, two very handsome Black-crowned Night Herons had captured my attention.

Black-crowned Night Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax) - 夜鷺

Black-crowned Night Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax) - 夜鷺

Black-crowned Night Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax) - 夜鷺

What a beautiful black head you have there, Mr. Night Heron.
.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...