2015/10/14

Searching for fall colours in Ottawa

Since last month, I have been watching leaves slowly changing their colours on my way to school.  This past Thanksgiving long weekend, I finally had some free time to go outside and enjoy autumn up close.

Eastern cottontail (Sylvilagus floridanus)
The week before, I saw an Eastern cottontail (Sylvilagus floridanus) at Sawmill Creek while I was taking a break from sitting in front of my computer all day.


Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)
On Saturday, I went to the Arboretum hoping to see some autumn colours and do some birding.  On my way to the bus station, I saw this juvenile Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) fishing.
 
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)
Quite a handsome bird.
 
Eastern chipmunk (Tamias striatus)
Eastern chipmunk (Tamias striatus) at Fletcher Wildlife Garden enjoying a little snack.

Trees and their shadows
I like the variation in shadow casted by trees of different shapes and sizes.

Autumn Colours
I thought there are more maple trees at the Arboretum, but I could only find a handful of them that are currently changing colours.

2015-10-10-PA100105
The beautiful blue sky was a nice contrast to the orange leaves.

On Thanksgiving Monday, I went to Petrie Island hoping to photgraph more maple trees.  Because the bus was running on a holiday schedule, I walked almost 6-km from the bus stop to Petrie Island.

Autumn Colours
Along the way, I discovered a nice path through some forested areas.

Eastern Garter Snake (Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis)
I saw at least four Eastern Garter Snakes (Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis) near the path that were enjoying the warm and sunny weather.

 2015-10-12-PA120187
Cute face.

Woolly bear caterpillar (Pyrrharctia isabella)
In addition to the snakes, there were also many large woolly bear caterpillars (almost 5-cm long) crossing the path.  I moved all of them (at least 20 of them) safely across the path since there were many careless bikers.
 
2015-10-12-PA120353
Painted turtle (Chrysemys picta) basking on a log in a funny pose.

Painted turtle (Chrysemys picta)
 
2015-10-12-PA120361
A Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula) posing for some photographs.

Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula)

Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula)

Kayakers
Kayakers.

Sailboat
Sailboat on Ottawa River.

Quebec
Quebec

Autumn Colours
Beautiful leaves.

Autumn Colours

Golden Leaves
I decided to overexpose some of my photos to show off the golden colours of the leaves.

Golden Leaves

Golden Leaves

Golden Leaves
Such a beautiful day.

I hope everyone had a relaxing Thanksgiving.  Two more weeks, then it is a week-long break from school (but not really)!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...