2014/11/02

Remnants of Autumn

I finished grading a bunch of lab reports yesterday, and when I woke up this morning, the weather was so nice that I decided to visit the Arboretum for a long overdue nature walk with my camera.

I have been so busy lately that autumn is slowly disappearing in front of my eyes and yet I haven't got any free time to take some photos with my camera.  I was very happy today when I got to the Arboretum and saw there were still some trees with their fall leaves.

Autumn colours
Tree on fire


2014-11-02-PB029122
This were some trees with yellow needle-like leaves that I don't recognize. [Edit: I believe they are tamarack (Larix laricina).]

Then I saw two large birds flying short distances from one tree to another.  I slowly walked up to one of the trees and saw that it was a Pileated Woodpecker (Dryocopus pileatus).  The woodpecker didn't seem to be bothered by my presence and I was able to get closer than I have ever been before (e.g., the last time).

Pileated Woodpecker (Dryocopus pileatus)
The red crest makes him (males are identified by their red mustache stripes) look more like a painting than a photograph.

Pileated Woodpecker (Dryocopus pileatus)

Pileated Woodpecker (Dryocopus pileatus)

Pileated Woodpecker (Dryocopus pileatus)
Sticking his tongue out.

Pileated Woodpecker (Dryocopus pileatus)
Closer-up on the face.

Pileated Woodpecker (Dryocopus pileatus)
These are my best Pileated Woodpecker images thus far.  Lucky!

Afterwards, I walked around looking for more trees with fall leaves.

2014-11-02-PB029183

And I found this giant Purpleblow Maple (Acer truncatum) with most of its leaves still intact.

2014-11-02-PB029186

Purpleblow Maple (Acer truncatum)
Gorgeous.

Purpleblow Maple (Acer truncatum)

Then I rotated a couple of photographs to create kaleidoscopic images (like last time).

Nature Kaleidoscope

Nature Kaleidoscope

2014-11-02-PB029216
While I was trying to figure out the best perspective to photograph a maple tree, I saw dragonflies moving across the field, which I was surprised because I didn't think they would still be around by now.

Mating Meadowhawks (Sympetrum sp.)
They were some species of Meadowhawks (Sympetrum sp.) in the process of mating.

2014-11-02-PB029214
Focusing on the female in a seemingly awkward position.

Then I found some non-maple trees with beautiful golden colours.

2014-11-02-PB029219
Ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba)

2014-11-02-PB029221

2014-11-02-PB029222
Japanese larch (Larix kaempferi)

2014-11-02-PB029225
Dow's Lake with low water levels and many waterfowls and gulls.

2014-11-02-PB029226
Such a nice and lucky day.  I am glad I took some time today to enjoy outside before the season changes.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...