2013/04/15

Wildlife in Peterborough - Redpoll, Osprey, and Mink

Our maple sap-collecting concluded yesterday after spending almost 12 hours boiling the sap we collected for the past weeks.  It was quite an experience, and I will never again under-appreciate how precious maple syrup is. 

In the morning, looking out the back porch, I saw little birds jumping around the branches, so I quickly grabbed my camera and snapped a few photos.

2013-04-14-P4140212
I think it is a Common Redpoll (Acanthis flammea) because of the streaked rump and pattern of streaks on undertail coverts (from other photos not shown here), as oppose to Hoary Redpoll.  Cute birds.

2013-04-14-P4140214
On my way to school, I saw the Ospreys back to occupying the platforms above the stadium.

2013-04-14-P4140221
Along the way, I spotted this mammal poking its head from the understory along the river.  I was very excited and quickly took some photos of it.  I knew it was some kind of mustelid, but wasn't sure what species it was.  In the end I lost it in the more dense vegetation along the sloping river bank.  I believe it is an American mink (Neovison vison), which I last photographed more than four years ago.  What a sighting!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...