2013/04/21

Walks to school & Woodcock video

Came to school during the weekend to do some work.  The weather was so nice today that I decided to walk to school instead (as well as take some photos along the way).

 2013-04-21-P4210424
Lots of American Robins are back.  Here is one watching the road.

2013-04-21-P4210425
  Saw a female Belted Kingfisher near a drainage pond.

2013-04-21-P4210456
Muscoid flies are back.

2013-04-21-P4210465
A strange pattern inside a peeled-off bark.  I wonder what kind of insect made this.

2013-04-21-P4210473
Flower buds.  Seeing the dust on this photo forced me to clean my camera sensor tonight.

2013-04-21-P4210497
A tiny wolf spider trying to run away from me.

After work, I walked back home rather than taking the bus.  I was tired and hungry by the time I got home.

Also, yesterday (Saturday) evening, Peterborough Field Naturalists had a short event about Woodcocks' courtship behaviour.  Since it took place here at Trent, I wandered over to the meeting place after my work was done.  I stupidly did not bring my binocular and my camera was more or less useless in taking photos in the dark; hence, I only took this video of it calling on the ground and then taking off.

2 comments:

Sara Rall said...

The pattern in the wood is made by bark beetles. Momma beetle chewed the center track. Along the way she laid an egg at what became the beginning of each new track. The babies hatched out and gnawed their way along, growing larger as they went and generally not crossing into their siblings' paths.

PSYL said...

Thank you, Sara, for your knowledge. I will remember this the next time I see a bark beetle.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...