2011/12/23

Strolling in Terra Nova and seeing a lifer - Greater White-fronted Geese

Today, I drove my father to work so my mother and I could use the car to run errands, e.g. buy groceries, etc. Afterwards, we went to Terra Nova for a stroll.

Reflection on the slough

Terra Nova Slough
A think film of ice on the water with no birds swimming in it.

My mother saw this dead vole. Guess the weather was too cold for this poor fellow to handle.

Terra Nova has changed a lot with the additional of new trails. Not sure if it's better (or worse) for the wildlife, that is. We saw two Brown Creepers hopping from tree to tree along the trail looking for insects.

Through the woods

Merry (Green) Christmas!
We saw many starlings and robins in the woods. This American Robin was nice enough to pose a photo with the red berries to make a festive (but green) photo.

Skyscape

Large group of American Wigeons

Walking back to the car, we saw these four geese in front of us. At first I thought they were Canada Geese, but when we got closer I realized they looked different. I snapped these photos for identification later.


Greater White-fronted Goose (Anser albifrons)

Greater White-fronted Goose (Anser albifrons)


Once I compare the photos with my field guide, I believe they are Greater White-fronted Geese (Anser albifrons). The distinguishing feature is the whiteness at the base of the bill. Please let me know if I am wrong. Thanks.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...