2016/05/17

Blossoms and a sad finding

Last week at the Arboretum, I made a mental note of when I think the crabapple trees will start flowering so that I can return and photograph the blossoms.

2016-05-17-P5170001
I went back today and the trees were just before peak-flowering.

Crabapple blossom
I took many pictures of these Cowichan flowering crabapple trees (genus Malus).

Crabapple blossom

Crabapple blossom

Crabapple blossom

Crabapple blossom

Crabapple blossom

Crabapple blossom

Crabapple blossom

Crabapple blossom

Crabapple blossom

Crabapple blossom

After photographing the blossoms, I spent some time watching birds, most of which were too fast and small (i.e., probably warblers) for me to properly see them.

Warbling Vireo (Vireo gilvus)
I am pretty sure this is a Warbling Vireo (Vireo gilvus), but then my labmate pointed out there is also a similar-looking Philadelphia Vireo.  Thankfully there is this post that helps people to distinguish the two species.

Warbling Vireo (Vireo gilvus)
Since I didn't see strong yellow in the throat and upper breast area (and maybe some yellow in the flanks and undertail in the above image), I think this was still a Warbling Vireo.
 2016-05-17-P5170103
I followed this Yellow Warbler (Setophaga petechia) as it flew from tree to tree.

Yellow Warbler (Setophaga petechia)
Then I got really lucky and photographed it in an interesting pose.  I like it so much that this is currently my computer desktop.

Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus)
Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus)

2016-05-17-P5170124
While photographing the Yellow Warbler, I noticed something dark on the grass.  Initially I thought it was dog feces, but then I realized it was a bat!  Upon closer inspection, I found out that the bat was dead.  Because there were many dogs running around and lawnmowers nearby, I decided to pick up the bat with plastic bags.  I still have the bat and am trying to decide what to do with it (bury it, send it away for rabies testing, or preserve it).

After finding the bat, I was pretty much in a sad mood all day.  I wondered what caused its death - disease (didn't look like it because I didn't see any white spots on its nose), predator (no external wounds that I could see), weather (Ottawa's evenings are pretty cold recently), or just natural death.

I then went to Commissioners Park to check out the tulip festival.  Since it was a weekday, there weren't many visitors but the tulips were certainly in full blossom!

Canadian Tulip Festival

Canadian Tulip Festival

Canadian Tulip Festival

Canadian Tulip Festival

Canadian Tulip Festival

Canadian Tulip Festival

Canadian Tulip Festival

Canadian Tulip Festival

Canadian Tulip Festival
This patch of unique-looking tulips drew a lot of attention from visitors.

Canadian Tulip Festival

Canadian Tulip Festival

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...